Erectile Dysfunction | Raleigh, Wilson, Rocky Mount
SEX is important.....there are countless health benefits that accompany a healthy sex life. In fact, sex can help prolong lifespan. There are a number of medical advances that allow men with Erectile Dysfunction to perform like their younger versions. At Bio-Functional MED, we understand that men may have difficulty with discussing ED issues. We have a comfortable and safe environment for men to discuss erectile difficulties. We never pressure our clients into expensive packages or treatments. Our first goal is always education so that you and your partner can make the best decision.
First, let's take a look at the way an erection occurs. With sexual arousal Small blood vessels in the penis release Nitric Oxide (NO) which cause the small arteries of the penis to dilate and blood fills the corpora cavernosa of the penis; simultaneously the ischiocavernosus and bulbospongiosus muscles compress the veins of the corpora cavernosa restriction the outflow of blood thus causing an erection.
As you might guess, the prevalence of erectile dysfunction increases with age and medical co-morbidities. Clearly, smoking and heavy alcohol use worsen ED but medical conditions like diabetes also worsen erectile dysfunction because diabetes affects the small blood vessels first. Diabetes hardens the small blood vessels making them less compliant and able to vasodilate to let blood into the penis for a quality erection.
There are several options available to assist men with ED:
- Exercise - Exercise has been shown to improve ED and blood flow throughout the small blood vessels in the body.
- Weight Loss - Weight loss has been shown to improve diabetes and can decrease vascular load on the heart. There are added benefits of improvements in ED symptoms with weight loss and you'll look a lot better in the process.
- NO (Nitric Oxide) releasing drugs - Viagra (sildenafil), Cialis (tadalafil), Levitra (vardenafil) (These medications cannot be used if you take nitrates or nitroglycerin for chest pain or heart disease.) Unfortunately, these medications may lose efficacy in time.
- ED Vacuum Devices - The penis is almost like a balloon and vacuum devices help to keep the penile tissueexpanded and helps prevent age related contracture and volume loss.
- Bimix, Trimix Injections - These are injectable compounded injections that help men with ED achieve erections. The combination of compounds in these injectables varies but they are effective in men even after prostatectomy. BiMix and TriMix should be used in small quantities because larger doses than necessary can cause pain or possible priapism (painful strong erection that lasts longer than 3 hours. A priapism is an urological emergency and requires a hospital visit.) For more information, visit the trimix page.
- PRP Penile Injection - PRP (platelet rich plasma) injections. Special regenerative cells from the blood are extracted and then injected into the penis. The regenerative cells help restore the blood vessels in the penis and reduce venous leakage. This PRP Sexual Enhancement procedure also has been shown to increase the length and girth of the penis. In some cases, three separate PRP injections are necessary to get optimal results.
- Shockwave Therapy - With the use of a special device, painless sound waves are delivered to the shaft of the penis. The shockwaves help stimulate angiogenesis or new blood vessel production and improve the quality of erections. Bio-Functional MED does not currently offer Shockwave therapy. PubMed Article